Logo

79 Chrysler 20hp carb problem

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have a 1979 20hp Chrysler mod. 206H9B, I cleaned the carb as it had been sitting for several years. When I first started it before cleaning it would run a few seconds working the choke as it started. So I took it apart and there was crud in needle hole and so forth. I took out the idle screw also when I cleaned it ad after re installing it I can't get it to do much more than just fire and stop. I seated the idle screw lightly and backed it out 1-1/2 turns and tried 2 turns but it won' run. Where should idle be set at? Or I there something else that needs set.

Scruffy63, you've posted this in the I/O forum. You might want to check your compression and your ignition. Re-post this and results in the outboard forum.

Compression is good and hot spark. It will start for a second but not long enough to attempt to adjust idle screw or air screw which ever it's called. I seated it lightly then backed out 1 1/2 turns as a guess but that does not work. I need better info on carb adjustment.

My way of thinking is that if it ran good before layup, unless gremlins adjusted the carb, that's not the issue. I'd put the adjustment back to where it was before or as close as possible. I think I'd be looking for fuel delivery obstructions or a possible electrical "run" circuit issue.
Jerry05 is the resident guru on the Chrysler outboard forum...........
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?25-Chrysler-Force-Outboard-Forum

My problem is that I cleaned the carb of old fuel and gunk from setting and tock idle air screw out and don't know setting. I lightly seated it and backed it out 1 1/2 turns but I think it must have been out more before I removed it. Any suggestion on where to set it.

Back