Logo

Engine Turns over, has fuel and spark but won't start!

jtavares

I have a 4 cyl 2 stroke inboard that ran like charm before I put it away for winter (fully winterized). Now it won't start. I have checked, I am getting lots of fuel and spark on my new spark plugs. I checked my coil and it appears to be working fine. I'm at a loss as to where to look next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

you need compression in your cylinders but as it was running i would say carbs may need cleaned. check no leaks in your fuel system from tank to outboard

Its a 1989 Cobra. Just found out yesterday that the plugs have spark but not the coil (even though the coil is good). Somehow the spark isn't getting to the coil.

Its a 1989 Cobra. Just found out yesterday that the plugs have spark but not the coil (even though the coil is good). Somehow the spark isn't getting to the coil.
you have that a bit mixed up if the spark plugs are sparking the coil is working its the coil that sends the power to the spark plugs

Have you took each sparkplug out and held it against the outboard crank engine and if you see a good spark all is well. If coil is good and spark plugs ok it would be your ht leads but you need to give more correct info.if when cranking engine and getting a spark its either fuel starvation ie need carbs cleaned or low compression a outboard needs 3 things to run spark fuel compression

My apologies, I was confused in what was happening. I don't have spark. The plugs are good, and so is the coil.
try your ht leads from coil to plugs if its not them it might be the stator but that's getting a bit beyond my knowledge and would mean pulling the fly wheel off to get to it hopefully someone with a bit more expertise can jump in and help good luck

Back