Logo

Honda BF225 one cylinder not getting fuel.

Hi there,
I head the same thing with my BF 40.
Then one dud came to see what is happening.
He just press the throtle to the max and he send the rpm to the haven for 1 sec and miracle happened. He became alive again.
Then the same dud said to me:
" Dud you must Synchronize your carb , that wil be 150 "
And I said:
"Dud, yust do it "
Now works fine, juts fine.

I'm taking her out on Sat. Skooter with the idle set a bit higher. We'll see how it goes. I am getting tired of fighting with it.

Right around 800 on my big analog tach. We'll see if I bang the gears too much I'll troll with my kicker for the day then buy a new motor next year.

Skooter, it ran perfectly for the first 5 or so miles, 30mph. Then it lost power at higher rpm. I cruised back in at around 10mph, that was as fast as it would go. no alarm, no codes etc.. It was blowing 20 or so and pretty rough so I didn't stay out. Did you ever have to replace the fuel pump when you had low pressure fuel problems?

Skooter, I ordered the fuel pressure tester, the one from AutoZone didn't have the correct fitting to screw into the service port. Also I ordered a new low pressure fuel pump since when I did the plunger test it wasn't exactly smooth. I figure at this point I may as well replace it to eliminate the possibility and by the time I am done I will have a semi new engine. My compressions are good and now I have replaced so much stuff anyway I may as well bite the bullet and make it reliable for a few more years. I have already cleaned the high pressure strainer and replaced the high pressure filter.. What fuel pressure does the service port measure, low or high?

Skooter, I replaced the low pressure fuel pump and measured fuel pressure. I got the actual Honda pressure tester. I get 80+ PSI no matter what I do with the vacuum line that comes off of the pressure regulator. I took off the pressure regulator and cleaned the little screen underneath but it was pretty clean to begin with. I blew out the regulator with compressed air. Have you had to replace your pressure regulator. I suppose that would be next on my list.

Not yet. I have ordered the new fuel pressure regulator but I am on vacation this week so I will get to it next week. I sure hope that is the problem.

New fuel pressure regulator installed with new screen and o ring. Same problem. Alarm after 5 minutes at idle and fuel pressure anywhere from 70 to 80 psi. Not sure what to replace next. Maybe the whole damn motor.

I find it odd that with a new FP reg you still have high pressure. Make sure that you dont have any obstructions in lines that connect to FP reg.

MY ENGINE IS FIXED!!!!! Thank you Skooter, CHAWK, and Hondadude for all your help and patience. Here is a synopsis of what happened: Initially I had either a bad ECU or one bad injector. The reason I say ECU is it won't run for more than a few seconds with the old ECU anymore, maybe the dealer gave me back a known crappy one. Then, when I took it to the dealer they tightened the intake manifold so that it pinched the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. I was getting 80psi of fuel pressure which was causing the engine alarm to go off at idle. I never got an alarm before I took it to the dealer. Then, I probably pinched the return line again just like the dealer did whenever I reassembled the engine. I took it apart again, blew out the return line and made sure it wasn't getting pinched. When I started the engine again today I had 42psi of fuel pressure and no more alarm and it runs great. The running rich problem must have kicked out the 02 sensor code, it sure turned the 02 sensor black from running so rich at 80psi. I am beyond thrilled. Thanks again everyone on the forum, I will get 'em next year.

Tolque, This has been quite a saga. Good job hanging in there.

Here is a request to help any others that might get into such a screwy situation. Write up a synopsis of the entire issue and open another thread on this form - basically an expansion of your last post. Title it something like "Unusual fuel feel issue with BF 200's and 225's" so that folks doing a search can easily discover it.

Document the symptoms, the various things you tried to diagnose the problem, and especially the discovered cause - a tightened intake manifold that pinched the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. As you fully know, that is a very difficult problem to uncover, so you may save another owner from huge expense and lost time on the water.

I know the sage Tolque, been there with mine. Although we had the same alarm issues and high fuel pressure, our findings were different. You have unveiled yet another avenue of mind boggling issues and solutions. I agree with Chawk, post a thread, but I would make sure you add things like high fuel pressure and alarm. I know its frustrating..I got to the point where I was also considering repowering both motors out of frustration, but these motors have a solid engine block and all the other components are sensors, lines and wiring..just a matters of patience and tracking down the culprit like you did..congrats!!

Typically, when you have that problem on a 225 (or 200) that was manufactured before mid-2007, it is due to water ingested into the two bottom cylinders. That is caused by the original exhaust tubes allowing water to get too far up the exhaust tube. The fix is to replace those exhaust tubes with the re-designed ones. All this is covered in Honda Service bulletin # 56. It is too big to upload on this site, so send an e-mail to me at [email protected].

The parts are a little over $100 on www.boats.net. The part numbers needed are on the last page of the service bulletin. A trained marine tech can change them out in 5 - 6 hours, I've been told. Several owners on this forum have done the job themselves.

You should immediately do a compression test on all cylinders. If compression on one or two of the bottom cylinders is more than 10% lower than the other cylinders, then you will need to try to fix that. Hopefully no internal components have been damaged.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like we have a problem with exhaust tubes. It runs on 4 cylinders at lower RPMS but will clear up once it clears out. If you could send me info to my e-mail i would appreciate that. [email protected] I failed to mention that i changed oil and plugs this weekend. There was a small amount of water came out when i pulled drain plug. Oil was not real milky though. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
David - sent Honda SB #56 to your e-mail.

Water in the oil likely due to water incursion in those two lower cylinders that forced the water past the rings into the oil pan. Would not run the engine again until you resolve that. Change out the exhaust tubes, adjust valves, do a compression test and see what you have.

Also, make sure that your exhaust outlets are 5.9" or more higher than the water level when boat is at rest. A few other operating tips to moderate water incursion...

1. When starting to crank the engine, crank it continuously until it starts. Do not "bump" the starter.
2. Avoid rapidly coming off plane - ease it down.
3. In heavy following seas, maintain as much speed as safe.

It reads about 13.1. All the other cylinders are 12.0. I ran a jumper and had the same result, 13.1 volts. I ordered a new wiring harness, I am afraid oral water flosser the grounded wire could be something in the external wiring harness up to the ignition that is affecting this one injector. The only time I could get the injector voltage to pulse is when I cut the green wires

Back