Logo

Honda BF225 one cylinder not getting fuel.

I changed the strainer on the VST. It needed it, it was pretty black. Still throwing a code though. It seems to take longer to throw the code when the engine is cold. Hopefully the temperature sensors have something to do with it.

Are you sure it's the strainer that you changed? The strainer houses the high pressure fuel pump and is made of plastic and has a mesh screen on the bottom...the high pressure filter is also on the vst but is a fluted filter and sits under a cover with there Philips screws

No, I changed the high pressure filter then. I'm not sure where that strainer is from looking at the diagram of the VST.

you can get away with cleaning it if you remove it carefully, if part is available replace with o-ring. sometimes its a booger to remove..You also will need a new o-ring for high pressure pump

I pulled the whole VST and pulled the high pressure pump off it. Tough screws on top of the fuel pump, I had to slot one of them to get it out. The strainer was clean. Actually when I drained it there was no water and the fuel was clean, I drained it into a clear glass jar. Anything else I ought to look for while I have it all apart?

Ok, I reinstalled the VST and fuel pump. New O ring in the pump and all new top screws, and needle valve. I ran the engine in a big tub of water up around 1800 rpm for 10 minutes. It ran perfectly, no code until I dropped it down to idle. Immediately the alarm went off. Long single beeps as before.

Can you guys tell me what the correct idle speed is? I set mine up to 990 rpm and the engine runs fine, no codes for 30 min. in the big tub. I throttled up, throttled down. Snapped the throttle back to see if I could generate an alarm but thankfully I could not. Seriously, just lie to me and tell me 990 is ok. Just kidding, does anyone know what the factory idle should be?

I got the idle down to about 900 rpm, that is as low as I can go without the alarm going off. I tried at 700 and the alarm goes off.

Maybe my tach is inaccurate. If I go down to 685 it barely pees out water. I got a steady water alarm today when I went down that low.

Install a gauge on the fuel rail test port. Should be in the manual - mine doesn't cover the 225 or I'd look it up for you.

No, I got my manual so I have been educating myself a little more. I get no alarms at 800 rpm and above but if I drop it down to 650 I will get the long beep. The manual says it could be O2 sensor or it could be misfire of cylinders 4, 5, or 6. I ordered all new NGK plugs to rule that out. I have the Autolite equivalent plugs in there so maybe they misfire at low RPM and cause the computer to throw the number 1 code. Everything runs perfect at any other rpm.

Many troubleshooting steps I see repeated here are "start with the correct spec NGK plugs". I think that's going to at least check one more thing off the list.

I got mine from harbor freight, but you can get one from any auto parts store that fits the honda cars, it is a 6mm thread. I think this is part of your problem

Last edited:
I will check it out. I know AutoZone up here will rent the compression tester and it's $45 but you can keep it if you want, if you bring it back you get your $45 back Strange policy.

No, I rented and kept the $45 compression tester from AutoZone. Hopefully they will have a fuel pressure gauge. I'm sure my original problem has been solved by the injector replacement. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to idle at 650 without setting off the alarm. I'll try the plugs first.

Back