Logo

Honda BF225 one cylinder not getting fuel.

So I got a call from the dealer today telling me that it was a bad injector. He said the ohms were out of spec. So I said ok cool go ahead and order another one. Then about 30 min later I got a call saying the got a code saying it was a bad 02 sensor and they didn't sound like they were convinced about the injector. I told him I replaced the 02 sensor. He said they couldn't do anything until they ordered a new one which will take another 1 - 2 weeks. So I suggested he try my old 02 sensor which I brought down to him. He had already moved on to another boat, mine was out in the street.

Hmmmmmm!!! You swapped injectors and still had the problem with the same cylinder....if I remember correctly.

I know you probably do not know, but did they erase the code and run the engine, as outlined in the repair manual? Did the code come back? Of course, it might, if the cylinder is not firing correctly.

Could this be a "chicken and egg" situation? Could one be causing the other?

I guess you are at their mercy at this point.

Mike

I did swap injectors. They said they erased the code and it came back after 5 minutes of running the engine. I honestly believe something is creating a false code. He said compression was great in all cylinders. WTF??? This shouldn't be this hard. But the mechanic can't get the same number 2 cylinder to fire either but he said one injector was out of spec on the ohms reading. So swap them like I did. That same cylinder reads 13.66 volts at the connecter while all the others read 12. I have a new wiring harness, new ECU, new 02 sensor, new plugs, what else could make one cylinder not get fuel.? The tech doesn't seem to know. He moved on to the next job because it will pay. Honda apparently doesn't have an explanation, he was on the phone with them today. Now my boat is out in the street. I know it is a great engine but their service sucks. Someone at Honda who designed this engine should be able to tell what is going on here. I feel like if it gets past 10 years old then you need to buy a new one. It only has 575 hours on it. Could this be a tight intake valve situation, not letting any fuel in?

Last edited:
So they put my old 02 sensor in since it brand new one was giving them a code. The old one is giving them even more codes, they didn't elaborate on exactly which codes. Now they want me to bring the new ECU down to them so they can test it. They have no idea what the problem is.

Well it's unfortunate that we rely on Honda mechanics that sometimes don't seem to have a clue. I hope they fix it, if not you may need to go to another dealer.

This is clearly a weird problem. I will be very interested to know what caused the failure. The 13.66 volts on the one injector is something I have never seen before and cannot even imagine what could cause that. Please keep us all updated. Thanks.

The dealer installed the new ECU and got the same 02 sensor code as before. They have ordered another new 02 sensor and one injector. Parts will be here in another week. They are still scratching their heads though. The only possibility now is I got a defective 02 sensor from Honda. If it was the injector I would have seen the problem move to another cylinder when I did the cylinder drop test. Maybe the new 02 sensor is bad and it is causing that one cylinder not to pulse or is grounding it out to produce the 13.66 volts. Highly unlikely but anything is possible at this point.

There is no way I can think of that an HO2 sensor would discriminate between cylinders or cause the ECU to discriminate between cylinders. The only far-fetched possibility is that the heating circuit wire to the HEATED oxygen sensor is interacting with the wiring to the No. 2 injector. And as I said, that is far-fetched IMO.

Ok, I spoke directly to the Tech. He said the new injector cleaned up the idle and passed the cylinder drop test etc. However, it is still throwing a 02 sensor code. They have tried 3 different 02 sensors. The lead tech thinks it may be the exhaust manifold is somehow spraying water into the to sensor area causing it to throw the code. He said it would be a full power head pull and is going to get back to me with a price. Has anyone else heard of this?

I would first ask what caused the 13.66 volts on that injector? That is an issue you should not overlook. I still have no idea how it could occur except for my far-fetched idea posted previously.

If the Tech is correct (which I question) it seems like just pulling the exhaust tube would tell you if that is the issue. That is a whole lot easier and less expensive than pulling the power head. Before committing to big bucks, I would want to know exactly how he believes that the exhaust manifold could be spraying water on the HO2 sensor.

Also, it is my understanding that once the HO2 sensor has been hit with water while "on" it will likely fail immediately, but I could be wrong on that.

As I posted previously, this is one very strange issue for the 225. I would sure want someone working on the problem who was really strong on diagnostics and not simply guessing by changing out parts until they fix it.

I would tend to think if you were getting water in the O2 sensor, you would notice it in the cylinder, especially the #6 along with a miss.

I'm not sure but I will mention it when I talk to him on Monday. It's hard to believe three brand new sensors would all be bad.

Well I picked up the boat today, it appears they fixed the one cylinder not getting fuel by replacing an injector. It idles smooth for 3 minutes or so and then throws code DTC 1-4 and starts to run rough/rich. They believe the exhaust manifold is spraying water on the sensor causing it to throw the code. I pulled the sensor right after running it and it is dry as a bone. They tried 3 sensors total. They said Honda wouldn't do anything about it since it is an 2003. It only has 575 hours on it. Compressions are 200, 202, 200, 200, 198, 198. I guess now I try to talk to Honda myself and see if they will do anything for me. They said it isn't a safety issue and is too far out of warranty but I say if you have ever boated in Alaska, an unpredictable engine is a safety issue. I doubt if they will go for it though.

Ok sorry, this run around with the dealer sounded like a Miami thing. Different type of availability issue in your case. I'm used to it being a mental availability issue lol.

Mine had 750 hrs and exhaust flange was corroded badly..it's not a hard fix by any means..very easy and while you're at it you can replace water pump and mid shaft bearing. I think they are full of BS about the water "spraying". Didn't you swap injectors before? What wad with the high volts?

I did swap injectors Skooter but they said one was below spec on the ohms, they apparently are supposed to read 11.5 ohms, one was reading 10.2. It definitely idles better...for about 3 min. Then when it throws the code it starts idling rough and I can smell a lot more exhaust as if it is running too rich. They said I would need to pull the power head to fix the "spraying" water from the exhaust manifold. I ordered two coolant temp sensors since they are pretty cheap and could interface with the 02 sensor. I just really feel like this is electrical. I will call Honda tomorrow. Everything the service manual suggests has been done. I'm into this about $1900, I might be able to recoup some by selling the ECU on eBay, it is a good one, be lucky if I get $400 for it. I will see if Honda wants to stand by their product. This just isn't right.

This is a serious bummer. That engine should be fixable. Is there anyone else you can get to go over it yet again?

You said "throws code DTC 1-4 and starts to run rough/rich"

Is that code 1 and 4, or code 14? If 14, then recheck your Intake Air Control valve. If 1 and 4, then 1 is the HO2 sensor, of course, but the 4 is the crankshaft position sensor. That's a bit screwy.

If you do decide to ditch the engine, you can probably recover your recent costs and then some by carefully parting it out - besides the ECU, the starter, alternator, heads, lower unit, cover, cowlings, VST, fuel pumps and sensors will all likely fetch a decent price on eBay.

Look, you've got 555 hours on this engine..this engine has very little use..it can be fixed..several times I thought about repowering mine cuz I couldn't figure it out for a couple months..the "engine" or block is in really good condition on yours...it's gotta be something that is getting over looked..how's the fuel pressure..I think you're on right track replacing coolant sensors..isn't there three on that engine...have they run HDS on it?

Skooter, yeah it looks like there are 3 water temp sensors. I got the two on the outside of the water jackets but it looks like the 3rd one is pretty deep inside the engine. Is that right? I am also thinking of ordering the crank position sensor. I don't think they ran an HPS, I'm not sure what that is.

Diagnostics on the engine, it will give the real time values of the sensors/electrical on the engine..check your fuel pressure...the fuel pressure regulator and screen were the issues on mine and seachaser. we kept getting a code "1"

Back