Logo

questions about 15hp mercury 4 stroke

bassnutz

I have a 4 stroke short shaft mercury 15hp motor. I am wondering if there is a fuel filter on this model and if so...where to buy a replacement. Also...my electric start doesnt work and Im not sure why? All responses will ve appreciated.

Need a year, or better yet, the serial#. And maybe some more details on the E-start problem. What exactly does it (or doesn't it) do?

Sure... 2007 serial# 1B495441 The E-start does nothing. The button depresses but nothing happens when I do. Is there any extra components that I may be missing? (key?)

OK, you have an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb- OEM part# 35-816296A3, available here or at any Merc dealer.

Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, especially the ground to the engine block from the battery. Take the connections apart and clean them with a scraper or some emery cloth or scotch-brite. Make sure your kill switch isn't activated. First, check the 20 amp blade fuse- it's located in an enclosed fuse holder, close to the solenoid. If the fuse is OK, use a voltmeter, and test for voltage at the small red (or red/yellow) wire on the solenoid when pushing the start button. If you have no voltage, you have a faulty start button or wire. If you have voltage, next test for voltage from the solenoid to the starter,The big red wire. If you have no voltage, you have a faulty solenoid, if you have voltage you likely have a faulty starter motor.

PERFECT information Sir! Thank You so much! The button was bad and is now replaced. While getting this part I spoke with the service tech. at the dealer and he instructed me that I should change the water pump on a yearly basis. I purchased the part as well as the fuel filter, oil/filter change, spark plugs and the button. All repairs went reasonably well, however, after changing the water pump...the motor would not (piss) out a water stream? I did notice that I had to "FIT" the propeller into the housing after putting it on the shaft. The propeller stuck out some but was the same size as the old one...but flexible enough to fit into the housing...I am assuming that this is normal? Is there a water line that I may not have noticed? Does the motor need to be primed? I got it started after the repairs and after 2 minutes a small amount of steam came out of the "piss" hole??? I immediately shut it down...

Back