Logo

ignition problem

Barry Coleman

I have a 1999 Silverton 352 with crusader 454 xli gas engines. Saturday the port engine died and would not start back up. I was only getting 6v to the ignition switch. After tightening some ground cables I got 12v again and she started up fine. Sunday morning she started up but cut off after a few seconds. Then I had 0v at the port ignition. Troubleshooting throughout the day I would get 12v again and she would start and cut off after a few seconds. The port ignition voltage would be at 0 again, sometimes ~2 volts. If I jump the power from the starboard ignition switch the port engine starts fine.
Any ideas besides ground cable? The battery is fine.

Assuming the ground cables are good, focus on the ignition switch source, on the positive side. The key is fed thru the main breaker circuit which gets current from the battery connection at the starter....it could be a bad connection or wire anywhere in that area....another item to check is the main engine harness connector - pull it apart and check to make sure the pins and sockets inside are clean.

Back