Logo

Water heater -heat exchanger

thaley615

I am about to replace my leaking 6 gal water heater that, although is equipped to do so, the heat exchanger is not connected to the motor to heat water while underway.
Engine is raw sea water cooled rather than a closed system. Can I use the raw sea water or is it ill advised? If I can, any recomendation where I can get information such as where best to tap into the engine to pick up engine heated water for the exchanger?

If you are unconcerned about raw sea water cooling your engine, then it's fine to use for heating water.

You want to tap into the hottest water. Usually where your thermostat housing exits water from the engine. If you have a water cooled exhaust manifold, where the water exits could be the hotter place.

Ayuh,.... There should be a 1/2" pipe plug just aft of the t-stat housin', in the intake manifold, to get the hot water from, 'n a capped nipple, or another 1/2" pipe plug in the circulatin' water pump for the return water,....

You have the potential to heat the tank to engine temp so adding a mixer valve is necessary to prevent scalding with the domestic hot. Be safe!

Back