Logo

Oil pressure drops due to engine angle

Gdavis

I have a new 4.3 Marine power sport pac 4.3L with a 71c transmission on a 22' Bartender power boat. Shaft angel is 14 degrees. I have had trouble during the break in period with oil pressure when getting the boat up on a plane. I have 5 qts of oil in her. Our plan is to change the oil and add two more qts. We were told by Michigan Motorz the sump is aft on the motor and it should pump fine as long as there is plenty of oil available for such a steep angle. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Yes, temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge as to verify that the oil pressure is actually dropping.

Also, be very careful if you add more oil than what the sump is designed for. You'll want to avoid any rotating assembly contact with the oil.

Before the introduction of down angled gears, the nominal standard for inline inboard setups was a 12 degree down angle....I can't fathom 2 degrees making any noticeable change in the engine's behavior. Rick's suggestion on the gauge is prudent....and if you bought it from MM, then follow their written instructions for installation and break-in...

Before the introduction of down angled gears, the nominal standard for inline inboard setups was a 12 degree down angle....I can't fathom 2 degrees making any noticeable change in the engine's behavior. Rick's suggestion on the gauge is prudent....and if you bought it from MM, then follow their written instructions for installation and break-in...

Thank you for the response. I changed the oil and filter and added more oil with MM ok and she ran much better but still after 15 minutes I got a ticking sound (oil airating) oil pressure was steady never changed the ticking was steady and only went away after idling down to a slow speed and boat was perfectly level on the water line. Looks like a down angle transmission is my only choice now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you for the response. I changed the oil and filter and added more oil with MM ok and she ran much better but still after 15 minutes I got a ticking sound (oil airating) oil pressure was steady never changed the ticking was steady and only went away after idling down to a slow speed and boat was perfectly level on the water line. Looks like a down angle transmission is my only choice now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... With the symptoms you describe, I'd think Less oil is the answer,....

I believe the base is only 4 quarts, when level,.....
With 5 or more quarts in it, the crank shaft is beatin' the 'ell outa the standin' oil in the base,....

Try it with only 4 quarts of oil,..... or less,...

Back