Logo

Merc/tohatsu 8hp 4 stroke question.

Team Rapo

Hi all, wonderfull board you have here with tonnes of info! Seems like lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here, I'm glad to have joined up and hope I can add value to this site!

A little backstory, I recently was having Fuel deliver issues with my merc 2005 8hp 4 stroke, cleaned fuel filter because it was a mess, thought I solved the problem but it didn't. Then I proceeded to clean the carb following a very helpful YouTube instructional video. That did the trick it has ran awesome ever since and At the time of cleaning it was extremely obvious that the jets were plugged with debris and god knows what else.

So now for my question, I have done extensive research and done about 10 searches on this site alone to try to find the answer to no avail.
Looks to me like the 8hp is grouped with the 9.9 and the specs are identical so it seems to me as tho the 8 hp is a carburator restricted 9.9. I would like to do the conversion to get a tiny bit of extra umph when I have passengers in the boat. I can't figure out if the only difference between the 8 and the 9.9 carburetor is the main nozzle, main jet and plug, or if there are other differnt parts and the only way I will be able to achieve the conversion is by purchasing a whole new carb instead of a few 20$ jets.

Ive looked everywhere and hope someone here can clear this up for me, I called my local merc dealer and "jingles" said merc won't allow them to do any such conversion work anymore and told me to do research online to figure out if it's just the jets that need to be changed or more and to call him back with part numbers so he could Order me the parts, he also wouldnt ask one of the techs so I could get the black and white answer I'm looking for.
Also I realize that these small 4 stroke outboards Are really mercury branded tohatsu's so if this belongs in that board I will move it.

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for the novel.

The Merc version carries just the label. It is indeed a Tohatsu MFS8/9,8. Tohatsu makes the engine. Merc labels the 9.8 a 9.9.
The Merc 9.9 version in the US has an EU-style carb with primer. It's fine but not necessary. The US version carb works great.
The carb throat for the 9.8 is much larger, so yes, you do need the complete carb to do the conversion.
Changing to richer jets would only make the mixture way too rich, run poorly, and foul plugs.

Thanks very much for the info! Im glad I didn't pull the trigger on the jets! I may have to re consider the conversion because a whole carb is about 300$

Back