Logo

Overheat alarm 02 BF225

Other Line

Contributing Member
First time I've been able to splash my boat this Spring was today, started right up but got an overheat alarm within about 5 minutes. Peeing fine. When ahead and let her cool down and set off for my dock. About 10 minutes from the ramp. Got another alarm iaftr 5 min. Let her sit, and then made my way to the dock. Alarm agian after about 3 min. Now I am at dock troubleshooting. Peeing fine, running fine, starboard bank of cylinders ( if I am facing motor) much hotter to touch than port. Don't have an IR gun.
Thoughts? Impeller and water pump changed about 100 hours ago, but calendar wise it was about 2 1/2 years ago. Ran great last trip of last year ( Sept 8th), been sitting all winter until today.

Yep - first thing I would do is pull the t-stats and make sure they are not stuck closed. Put them in a pan of water on a burner with an instant thermometer. They should start to open at 140 F and be fully open at 160 F. Fully open is all of 3 mm. While you have the t-stats out, use an old rag to seal a garden hose in the opening and flush with as much pressure as you can get.

If that is not the problem it's time to change the impellor (or better, the whole water pump) and make sure that none of the pieces of the impellor have broken off.

Yep - first thing I would do is pull the t-stats and make sure they are not stuck closed. Put them in a pan of water on a burner with an instant thermometer. They should start to open at 140 F and be fully open at 160 F. Fully open is all of 3 mm. While you have the t-stats out, use an old rag to seal a garden hose in the opening and flush with as much pressure as you can get.

If that is not the problem it's time to change the impellor (or better, the whole water pump) and make sure that none of the pieces of the impellor have broken off.

Yep- swapped out the Thermos and all is good. Took some time to inspect my JB Weld SteelStik repair on my hole in the block under the T-Stat. Looking good, have about 100 hours on the repair. I recommend SteelStik if you have this issue

Back