Logo

HELP. Troubleshooting on my mercruiser

C marner

I have a 3.0 mercruiser. It has a newly rebuilt carb and a brand new battery as well. It starts fine right off the ramp and runs greats but after I shut the engine off and anchor down for a little bit it does not start . It will act like it's going to but then shake a little and shut off. What could be the problem .

Ayuh,.... Are you givin' it throttle as yer tryin' to start it,..??

If not,... Give it some gas,....

If so,... Give it more throttle,...

Yes a couple pumps . But I don't think I should have to give it that much more then that . It starts off the ramp from just two quick pumps of the gas

Ayuh,.... The choke is On, on a cold motor,...

Other than the pumps, is the throttle Advanced, when ya hit the key,..??

It won't start unless it is in neutral. Like I said it starts right up off of the ramp but after running for awhile sometimes I can't even get it started again.

I have a 3.0 mercruiser. It has a newly rebuilt carb and a brand new battery as well. It starts fine right off the ramp and runs greats but after I shut the engine off and anchor down for a little bit it does not start . It will act like it's going to but then shake a little and shut off. What could be the problem .

Sounds like it may be vapor lock. Runs for a while, shut it down, engine is hot in an enclosed space, residual heat causes the fuel to turn from liquid to vapor (air). Air bubble in fuel line will not let fuel pass to the carb. Next time when you turn it off open the engine box for 10 minutes to let It cool down then see if it will start normally.

Back