Logo

Power steering question?

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
2000 Merc I/O 190 hp alpha drive.
My power steering is getting harder. Is there a maintence required ? I grease the lower grease fittings every year and check drive belt tension on the pump. The oil has never been changed and is slightly overfilled. This puzzles me any sugestions ? ?
Thank Yu
Moondrifter

all well and good, but did you grease(taking a handful of grease and putting it directly on the steering cable where it passes thru the guide tube) the cable where it goes thru the guide tube?

Last edited:
all well and good, but did you grease(taking a handful of grease and putting it directly on the steering cable where it passes thru the guide tube) the cable where it goes thru the guide tube?

I will do that tomorrow when I pressure oil the steering cable and swap out as much of the power steering fluid that I can.
Thanks

UntitledST21_zpslp68k3kb.jpg

red arrow =steering tube, extend steering out all the way, apply grease at green arrow, move steering in all the way , out all the way, and re-grease.

Also to add to this is, steering cables are not all created equal and do wear out. Typically when the steering becomes harder and harder it is the cable and the only solution is to replace it.

Back