Logo

Wrist pin removal

jn1440

Contributing Member
I have an damaged piston from an evinrude 70(1984) that I am trying to remove the rod from in order to use it on another piston. Now the problem is the wrist pin stands in my way, I cannot for the life of me get the wrist pin out. At first I tried a little press I made up with an old puller then graduated to a hammer and socket and then to a bigger hammer and then to a 30 pound sledge just to see... The loose side is up, removed all the retaining clips, tried heating the piston in water like the manual says even tried heating the piston only with a torch then just for fun I put it in the freezer but it will not budge. What am I missing here?? :confused:

Nothing, you are doing it right. Just need a better press. If you don't have one, take it to an automotive machine shop. Piece of cake for them. Just make sure they are aware of the loose side.

Piston is scrap?-------------Use lots of heat !!----Use a hacksaw to cut and weaken the piston's grip on the pin ??

Last edited:
I guess will have to take it somewhere. Gave it another shot this morning by making my own press out of 4x4s and a 6 ton bottle jack. It broke the 4x4s..... I would consider cutting the piston up but the reason this piston is trash in the first place is I tried to remove a stuck ring and put a nice deep scratch in the piston so I don't know if I trust myself not to make the situation worse. :rolleyes:

I feel pretty stupid or something. I took the piston in to a local evinrude dealer and he knocked the pin out with an 8oz ball peen hammer.

Thats why these forums are helpful...all the little tricks that are unique to certain outboards. I always have to tell myself..."this aint no Briggs and Stratton, better check before I get the big hammer" :cool: Glad you got it done...

Back