Logo

Reset O2 alarm

CaptRobalo

At idle I started getting a prolonged intermittent beep, which in times past always ended up being the O2 sensor, so it was replaced. The mechanic I use, being a Yamaha dealer wasn't sure how to reset the alarm for the sensor. Is there some way to do it without the computer stuff from Honda?

Clearing Fault Codes (Originally posted by Honda Dude)

Essentially, to clear the codes, you operate the kill switch 5 times with the shunt (shorting device, or paper clip) in place and within 20 seconds of the key switch being on.

I recommend grabbing the safety lanyard very close to the switch that it is attached to so you can pull it to off and push it to on without losing the lanyard.

• Connect the shunting device (technical term for paper clip.)
• Turn on the key switch.
• Pull the safety switch to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off. That should be five times off and on and off within 20 seconds from when you turn the key switch to on. When you get to the fifth time off...you should hear one or two beeps. The codes are clear. If you did not hear the beeps, try again.
• Turn the key switch off
Remove the shunting device and run the engine. Then check for codes again. .

Thank you for that. The guy I'm using has taken very good care of me before. I did not know he didn't have the computer to hook into the motor so he can't check codes or reset. The diagnosis of the O2 sensor was based on the prolonged intermittent beep. Is there a way to verify the code without the computer hookup?

Getting Fault Codes from a Honda BF 200 or BF 225

You can retrieve the codes from the EPROM in the on-board engine computer - the Electronic Control Module or ECM.

This procedure works ONLY with engines that are equipped with the four-light key switch – green = oil pressure; red = coolant temperature; red = alternator output; red = malfunction indicator light (MIL.)

Take off the engine cover and the plastic cover over the electronics on the front of the engine. There you will see a red four-pronged female plug. Remove the plug from its holder. Use a paper clip to shunt the lime green/white wire to the black wire – that is, the two wires that are closest to the engine when the red service connector is correctly set in its holder. If in doubt, invest in a SCS service connector, which you can order online - part number 070PZ-ZY30100.

Once connected, turn on the key switch and observe the number of blinks on the check engine (MIL) light. The blinks will repeat until you turn off the key.

If the MIL comes on, then stays on, there are no codes in the EPROM. This is contrary to what it says in the Helm Shop Manual (Page 5-14.)

If the MIL starts blinking, then count the blinks, which will indicate the fault code. You may get long blinks and short blinks. For example, two long blinks, followed by five short blinks, would be a fault code 25. The blink sequence will repeat itself until you turn the key off. If there is more than one fault, you will get multiple fault codes. For example, three short blinks, followed by two long blinks and five short blinks would be fault codes 3 and 25. Post the number of blinks and I will try to tell you what the error code is. Or, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the codes.

If you get only one blink, that repeats about every three seconds, that may be a faulty O2 sensor. If a faulty O2 sensor is indicated, first check the wiring and connector. A loose or corroded connection can set off that alarm. Also, a misfiring spark plug or failing coil can generate that fault code.

Thank you so much. Did the trick. Really appreciate it. Got me back on the water wicked fast. I will email you to get those codes for future reference.

Back