Logo

4.3GS Burning up fuel pumps?

C.grover

I've got a 1997 4.3 GS Volvo Penta that I am having issues with. Actually, just the fuel pump. I've purchased (3) in-line low pressure pumps in the last 18mths. The most recent one lasted about 1 month. Pump itself seems ok but the coil housing is blowing out the side and smoking. I'm curious if anyone could shed some light on this for me? I'm thinking maybe a loose connection causing high current maybe? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Loose connection won't cause hi current, but could cause high heat. If the fuel filter is plugged or sucking air on inlet side causing the pump to work harder for more fuel flow... could be a factor.

Loose connection won't cause hi current, but could cause high heat. If the fuel filter is plugged or sucking air on inlet side causing the pump to work harder for more fuel flow... could be a factor.

Thanks. I'll look into that. Also, the 3 times I've burnt fuel pumps up was when I was cranking the boat. None of the 3 failed while running. Strange...

Put a volt meter on the pump feed and see what voltage is being put to it while cranking.
You might check all the wiring to the pump. I had an issue once where the wire corroded inside the insulation causing problem.

Back