Logo

Problems with my Volvo Penta 4.3

drob59233

I have a 1993 boat with Volvo penta engine. It was running fine in driveway, took out on the water and was running great. I stopped running for a few moments to cast a few lines for fishing(left the engine idling) and when I went to take off the engine cut out and would not re-start. When trying to restart it sounded as if it wanted to start, but then 30 minutes later, it did not turn over. It just clicked. When I finally get towed back to shore. I found out one of batteries was completely dead. Talk to mechanic and he said it could be the fuel pump. I am wondering, if battery died while running. could that be reason it cut off. Mechanic says no, but looking for another opinion.

I stopped running for a few moments to cast a few lines for fishing (left the engine idling) and when I went to take off the engine cut out and would not re-start. When trying to restart it sounded as if it wanted to start, but then 30 minutes later, it did not turn over. It just clicked. When I finally get towed back to shore. I found out one of batteries was completely dead. Talk to mechanic and he said it could be the fuel pump. I am wondering, if battery died while running. could that be reason it cut off. Mechanic says no, but looking for another opinion.

Without having done any testing or diagnostics...... this mechanic apparently shares an ability with the late Carnac the Magnificent.

Carnac1.jpg

Seriously.... some testing and checks are in order before you haphazardly begin throwing parts at this.

Just guessing here but your battery probably died from 30min of trying to crank it back up. As far as the fuel pump goes, I would try this.... (1) Charge battery(s) (2) remove line going from fuel pump to carb. (3) Try cranking the engine (With fuel line removed) and see if there is fuel coming from pump. If so, your pump is working. If no fuel, verify that the pump is pumping. You can feel vibration in the pump when the key is in the cranking position (Get someone else to turn the key while you feel the pump). If you feel that the pump is pumping, I would check the fuel filter and make sure that it is primed. I think these have to be manually primed when replacing or removing. Manual prime = Filling filter with fuel before installation. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Did you load test the battery?
Is the engine running off the battery and your charging system not functioning at idle?

Back