Logo

15hp Stuck in neautral

banner11

I have a 15hp Johnson that is stuck in gear and wont shift into forward or reverse no matter how hard I try and pull or push the shifter. any ideas what could be wrong?

You didn't change foot oil and mess with the Phillips head screw did you? sounds like the pivot for the clutch dog is messed up.

it has been in storage for about a year and then i fired it up on the third pull and it went it to gear fine. went to crank it back up a couple of days later and it wouldnt shift at all. i was pulling it in forward with all i had and it wouldnt budge and then pushing trying to get it in reverse and nothing, the shifter barely moves

If the throttle handle is fully retarded so that it can't interfere with the shifting, and what you're saying is that the shift handle will not move..... drop the lower unit if for no other reason to eliminate the possibility that it is frozen internally.

If, with the lower unit removed, the shift handle still won't move, it would no doubt be corroded tight where the shift handle shaft slides under the powerhead. If so, you may be able to free it with a hand held propane torch.

I overlooked the part where you said that it shifted okay the day before so that eliminates the frozen shaft theory.

NOTE: Be sure to spin the propeller when you're trying to shift with the engine NOT running. This is to align the lobes of the gears and the shifter dog so that they can engage. DO NOT apply a great amount of pressure to the shift handle as that is just going to damage something else. You need to find the blockage!

Turn the throttle handle all the way back towards idle/stop if you haven't already. Will it shift now? Remember to spin the prop!

Where are you located (roughly)?

Back