Logo

BF50 Head issues

htbboats

Not beIng familiar with these engines can someone tell me if the head /valves are serviceable or does "Honda" recommend just replacing it?
thanks

I'm not familiar with the 50, but I do have a 200 and I have rebuilt the cylinder heads and all 24 valves for a fraction of the cost of a new one. What are the issues you're having? Since I'm not clear on the issues, your fix could be something so simple as adjusting the valves or maybe you could have a crack in the head..can you elaborate on the issues..

Low compression, I put oil in the cylinders and usually if its rings that will increase the compression is its ring trouble but it stayed the same. I did remove the head today, hard for me to read the head gasket, was not blown but may have been leaking? Layed the head down, chamber up and poured the chamber full of fluid and it did not leak by the valves. To me that leaves the head gasket?
Thanks Mark

First of all, did you check compression correctly - fresh battery, all plugs removed, full throttle?

One possibility is that the valves are carboned up at the seats and out of adjustment. Decarbonize them and readjust.

I know this is an old thread but somebody reading it may fined this info helpful.

Yes the head on a BF50 is serviceable parts are available, from my own experience I found the parts very expensive to buy in the UK but were anything up to 6 weeks waiting time.

So after searching the net I found a website called MEGAZIP.net ( https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-lodochnyh-motorov ) they deal in a number of Japanese engines, the parts are genuine parts (Well my Honda ones were) they seem to be running a 10% discount code all summer, so I I'd ordered from the UK it would of come to £216 for Head Gasket and 3 Exhaust valves, at megazip I paid £142 for Head Gasket, 3 Exhaust valves, 6 Valve stem oil seals and delivery from Japan which arrived in a little over a week and I paid through Paypal so was covered by them.

Back