Logo

70hp 1980's Evinrude running rough

mnaiman

Hi there.
Im new to the site, as I just bought a boat. It has to be a mid 1980's (i think), 70hp Evinrude on it.
I have been having some troubles with it, and was hoping someone here could shead some light on the situation...
I bought it a few weeks ago with a full take of gas in it from the previous summer. After topping off the tank with fresh gas and stabalizer, It started up alright, but wouldnt idle withought increading the throttle significantly. When i would ease off the throttle before putting it in gear, if the RPM dipped below 1000, it would simply sputter and die out.
Thinking it was possibly just bad gas, I hooked the engine up to a portable jerry can, and took it for a spin. starting up took a few trys, but after a while it ran fine. It maxed out at 5200 RPM (when prior to the new gas, it was only hitting 4300 RPM).
After a few minutes of running, I slowed down and was cruising with the engine simply in gear, after a few seconds, it sputtered and chocked out yet again. This time, it wouldnt start back up. I removed the hose from the engine and tank, and when I reattached and started pumping the ball, gas began to flow out of a crack in the hose connecting the gas line to the fuel pump (first few inches of gasline within the engine).

So, What i would like to ask is....

1) would this small leak in the line cause it to shut off at low idle, but run fine at high speeds?
2) should I have an inline fuel filter between where the gas line comes into the engine, and where the fule pump is?
3) what issues could be causeing this inability to idle properly?

A little more backstory, I premix the gas at 50:1, the carbs are aftermarket, and were replaced last year along with the fuel pump. A new built in fuel take was also installled last year.
I will have to wait upwards of a month to bring it into a mechanic, so absolutely any insight would be greatly appreciated!

- Max

Where did they find the aftermarket carburetors ???--------Start with a compression test on it.

They are Aftermarket Carbs. Havnt done a compression test yet. Are these symptoms indicative of a blown cylinder? i was told it wasnt likely, simply because it will run fine at any speed but a low idle, or in neutral. Furthermore, when I pulled the plugs, they all seemed to have uniform wear. When I had it running today,. it ran fine, even in neurtal, and at a slow idle, but not after I tried to start it up again.

Not sure where they are from (the carbs that is). But im told it was running fine with them since they were installed at the beginning of last season.

Back