Logo

Fixing up 1967 9 1/2HP

bighat10

Hello guys! My grandfather gave me an old sportwin 9 1/2HP outboard that I am going to guess from my research is somewheres around 1967. He got it used when he bought a boat, it didn't run when he got it but he never tried to figure out why. I am currently cleaning it up, and trying to figure out what needs done to it. I checked for anything being siezed up, and its not. I checked the sparkplugs and those look fine. I cleaned up the filters, I did a lookover to see if there was anything that the eye could see that was broken. Anything else to look at?

Now one of my questions is if there is a way to just test it without a fuel reservoir. I just need it to be able to run long enough to test it and figure out what it does when you try to start it up.

Next question. The kill switch is missing. the wires connect up to the engine where it should, but the physical switch is missing. What kind of switch is needed? Will a toggle switch from radioshack work? do I need a special switch of some sorts?

Third question. Oil to gas mixture. I have been told by some people that the ratio changes the older the engine. I just don't want to blow the thing up right after I get it running smoothly. XD

if there is a way to just test it without a fuel reservoir
You need some sort of fuel tank and a OEM line and bulb to fill carb......
The kill switch is missing. the wires connect up to the engine where it should, but the physical switch is missing. What kind of switch is needed?
You will need a push button style with a waterproof cover
Oil to gas mixture
50:1.... Be sure to check the upper motor mounts as this motor is bad about these failing along with exhaust boot..

You need some sort of fuel tank and a OEM line and bulb to fill carb......

You will need a push button style with a waterproof cover

50:1.... Be sure to check the upper motor mounts as this motor is bad about these failing along with exhaust boot..
Is this what I am looking for? http://www.jmsonline.net/seachoice-..._Gfc1mJzvFlXA34Fa1lMQ39c3eAQMpmZKYaAshv8P8HAQ

Would that be a always on or always off switch?

Well I will look into that! thanks for the help.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
Some good info here on your motor. Check compression first and do a spark gap test with a open air spark gap tester. Compression needs to be even and it must jump a gap of at least 1/4 inch on both plug wires. Yes 50:1 for the fuel mix and the bust button start switch works best just short the two wires together to kill the motor.

Yea, I was reading through that yesterday. Definitely some useful info.

So would the switch be an always on or always off? I am looking into replacing it with a lanyard switch instead.

Bighat,

I have a 1966 Johnson 9.5 that I just got running. Take your time - you have a handful of things to do before you even think about getting this actually running:
1. Compression test
2. Spark gap test (buy a tester at auto parts store for about $5) - spark jump of at least 1/2"
3. replace the water pump impeller
4. Check/replace lower gear oil
5. You WILL need a full carburetor rebuild.
6. replace the fuel lines
7. test the fuel pump to see if it's working, if not, you can rebuild it yourself with an $11 kit!

After all of the above, you can hook up a gas tank and get it to actually run.

These are very good motors, Be methodical and do all the necessary steps to get it running correctly and you'll have a fine motor.

CMOS

Back