Logo

1982 35hp won't idle after warm-up

BigMark

I have a 1982 35hp that idles perfect when its first fired up, even revs up and drops to idle without incident, but after approximately 10 minutes of running, it doesn't want to idle down without just shutting off. The shut off point seems to be just as the cam follower passes the timing marks. Sounds like its just loosing all spark. It fires back up after this occurs, but sounds a bit rough at low speeds, an refuses to idle down without shuttin off. The carb is spotless and adjusted correctly. I've tuned it in about 3 times, then took it out only to have it do this each time after it was ran for a short period. Is this caused from a bad coil, or something else I may be overlooking (incorrect timing?)? Damn thing keeps bluffing me into thinking its fixed. Any ideas?

Check your compression. Put a timing light on it and see if the spark wants to disappear when it starts to quit.

I did a spark check using a timing light, and the spark does stop in both coils at idle speed only after engine has warmed up. A miss can be seen just above idle, but spark completely disappears when throttle is dropped to idle. It idles perfectly BELOW proper idle speed BEFORE it warms up. Couldn't perform compression test due to lack of tester, yet.

I'm have a similar problem, I have a 1999 35hp 3cyl. engine model J35PL3EEM. When its cold starts right up and idles good, after running it on the water for 5minutes it sputters down to a shut off, and doesn't start again, engine has no spark nothing...... after sitting for a hour or 2 it'll start up nicely again.

Is the oil injection unit on this motor or has it been tossed out as per many mechanics ?----Compression test numbers are ?-----Are low speed jets set to a dimension or just 2 turns out ?-----Water pump maintained ?-----Checked all the pins in the plug in connecters for powerpack ?----Taken any readings on stator and power coil ?

Yes oil injection kit is of, haven't used that for 2 years already. compression test is good. Never played with the jets ran fine before, pumps water like never before..... replaced coils, replaced stator, replaced computer/power pack, new spark plugs, took of all the wiring i could to see if its a bad connection or shortage. we replaced the optical timing censer but we only put a used one and no idea if its working right or not, would that be the problem? because the one it had before only allowed one cylinder to run at a time.

Back