Logo

99 BF130 Lower Unit Removal-Help Please!

Omar174

I was going to replace the impeller but could not get the lower off. I took off the 4 side nuts and the front nut. The damn thing would not budge. I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet, prying it with a screw driver, no luck. What am I missing?

Please help!

Therer should be a nut and/or a bolt under the trim tab.

Mike

I took off a total of 5 nuts, including one near the trim tab. I took off the trim tab and didn't see another fastener under there. Also had the motor in neutral. Still no luck. Won't move at all.

This is a picture I got off the net to show the nuts I've removed.

I've removed 4 nuts for the ones indicated by the green arrows (2 on the left side, 2 on the right), plus the one nut near the trim tab in red. So a total of 5.

Anyone have any ideas?

bf130 lower.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was stuck too on my 200. I used a 2x4 piece of wood and hit it with hammer to break it loose, but be careful not to damage cavitation plate.

Yes, now that I can access my manuals, there are only 5.

If you have a rubber mallet, it might be easier on the gearcase hitting it with that.

You may have to hit it a few at the front then the back and keep working back and forth to get it to break loose.

You may want to screw on one of those fasteners just a little to keep the lower unit from dropping all the way to the ground once it breaks loose.

If you keep the engine vertical, gravity should help.

Mike

Back