Logo

2004 BF200 Blown #3 10 amp-should I be concerned?

Randy Brunson

Contributing Member
I mentioned in my other thread that I just got the boat back after having some fuel-related issues serviced. When I was test running it, after about an hour of running well, it blew the #3 10 amp fuse for the first time ever, as far as I know? Of course, I will get some spare fuses to take out next time I go, but should I be concerned and start trouble shooting or could this just be a one time thing? I replaced the fuse on the water and ran home for about 20 minutes with no problem. But I'm really anxious to take my young family out, but I don't want to if this is likely to be an issue that needs a lot more trouble shooting to figure it out.

Thanks for the input.

It is always best to see if you can find out why a fuse blew. If you can get the wiring diagram for the motor you will be able to see all the things that are powered by the circuit that the fuse protects. It could be a faulty component or a damaged wire. Take a look for any wires that have the outer casing worn through and maybe intermittently contacting the casing of the motor and therefore shorting.

Stuart

Yep - always be concerned when you blow a fuse and find the problem.

The #3 fuse most often gets blown because of a bad or shorted connection in the tilt/trim relay, or a stuck relay. The other circuits protected by the #3 fuse are the alternator output terminal, engine oil pressure indicator, overheat indicator, PGM-FI main relay, tachometer, trim meter, and warning buzzer.

I would exercise the tilt/trim extensively and see if it blew another fuse. If so, locate the relays and check the contacts and test them.

Back