Logo

1985 60 hp Merc......Runs Ice cold

hookuspookus

Why doe's my motor run ice cold ? 1985 Merc 60.......... Motor Runs out of water and when I put it in water as soon as I go to put it in gear it stalls......Is there a way to make it run at an operational temp ? I would find it odd for it to run at such a cold temp

Merc removed the thermostats from most of them to prevent burning up the top pistons. You'll have to live with it.

Jeff

Stalling under load (prop in the water) is more likely due to a fuel starvation issue (gunk in the carbs is top of the hit list).

History on the motor? ran well last year? new to you? last time the plugs were changed? was it winterized? etc etc.

Running cold will cause a crappy idle, but it shouldn't stall simply putting it into gear when cold.

Stalling under load (prop in the water) is more likely due to a fuel starvation issue (gunk in the carbs is top of the hit list).

History on the motor? ran well last year? new to you? last time the plugs were changed? was it winterized? etc etc.

Running cold will cause a crappy idle, but it shouldn't stall simply putting it into gear when cold.
Motor is new to me.......Got the motor 2 years ago.......New plugs fresh gas

I guess you have to have SEA TOW when you own a Merc........I'll never buy another one
If you dont do regular maintenance and proper storage it don't matter what brand you own you will need SEA-TOW..This looks like a post to flame Merc motors to me.

So true. Can't imagine what problems those 4 strokes will have when the owner doesn't winterize them properly, have the valves adjusted, change the oil...

Jeff

Another "used motor that was PERFECT" when it was sold.

Although I never understood why someone would sell a motor that was "perfect" - I have four of them that I will never part with - it's the "junk/problem children" that I slap a coat of paint on and sell to somewhere on the far side of the country :)

Back