Logo

spline grease substitute and water pump glue?

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi for the 115 i wanna put the lower half up and i watched video and it talked about putting spline grease on and gluing the water pump seal and the stainless cup in place

what substitute is for spline grease? for the chrysler engine all i did was put gray anti seize on is that ok?? or do you need special grease

as for gluing the seal in and the cup is that just like gray gasket maker or blue or the black stuff from permatex or say clear?

Any type of anti corrosive grease will be fine to put on the splines.

Gluing the impeller cup into place..... Best to use Bombardier 3M Product #847, available at your local dealership, also probably on this site. It's a substance that is used extensively during outboard repairs.

Ah ok ill ask the dealer monday. For that guess there no subsitite and whats the reason you need to glue it in

But if no subsitite. Ill wait till monday to ask dealer

Thanks for help so far

Glue..... To keep the cup and impeller in place when you turn that housing upside down to install it on and slide it down the driveshaft.

NOTE: It's always best to mention the model number of your engine so that we know exactly what engine you're speaking of.... or at least (if you know for sure)... the year, make, and hp.

oh ok

could i not just use 5 min epoxy to glue it in place or even the marine expoxy or marine goop as it holds stuff in place

and for the o ring for the water housing just a pit of grease to hold it in

and sorry

its the 1984 115hp that i cleaned up from top to bottom... marina also said i didnt need a voltage regulator even though i have a power trim said dont worry about it

You asked what is normally used... I answered. However, suit yourself... hope it works for you.

that 1984 115hp model has a charging system but doesn't need a regulator, just the rectifier. If you have a tachometer and it works. the charging system is working.

ah ok so when do you need a regulator?

and well i asked in the first question "as for gluing the seal in and the cup is that just like gray gasket maker or blue or the black stuff from permatex or say clear?"

so i wanted to know but i noticed the cup doesnt even come out once its pressed in

but i do appreciate the help ill wait till monday for right stuff or see what the marina has for me..

thank you for that help

one last question

i was just dry running the setup to the video on you tube on how to rebuild it... the O Ring that goes under the Impeller is that the fat or thin O Ring as i did the thin O Ring but i noticed that the Fat O Ring doesnt fit in the spline groove its like bigger, but i sure the fat one goes there maybe i got the wrong O Ring then in the kit or does the fat one go to the bottom and the thin one goes up top it doesnt show in the video

this is the video i was watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZMArnU48c

Last edited:
Back