Logo

Cleaning thoughts and ideas?

karterdad17

I am in the process of replacing\repairing the water pump kit on my '86 800 series Mercury outboard. This is my first time trying to DIY and was wondering if anyone had suggetions or ideas on how far to go in the cleaning of all around the shaft and empty spaces. When i removed the LU, the impeller and outer housing were in really bad shape.I have ordered the complete kit, thanks to MarineEngine.com and will be here shortly. Just trying to get a jump on the task and do it the right way the first time and hopefully not damage anything else.

thanks for that info. what about the bering below the water pump, do i need to flush that with an oil or something? and alot of the mess i see looks to be in the, what i guess, is the exhaust port.

+1
I see your into karting too, on my 3rd Briggs 5hp build,. Got 11hp out of last one and this new one should be a mule!!!

ok, well I think I just hit my first roadblock. After pulling everything apart, and probably watching wayyy too many videos, I am more lost than when I started. I found 2 shims between the needle bearing and the water pump base. But looking at the parts diagram, it appears that only 1 should be there. I ordered a new aftermarket base and I am unsure just how much pressure to use to really get it seated, or if i need to get it seated. I guess i should have just bit the bullitt and paid someone to do it.

When you've greased the spline just before you refit the LU make sure that there is NO grease on top of the shaft. It will cause hydraulicing and you will not be able to seat the shaft home.

i did see that on one of the many vids i watched, but I think i gave up a bit too soon. after watching the Sierra video here on ME.com, i popped that sucker back on in less than 45 mins.:D

guess Ispoke to soon, i think i missed a step...or 2... or 3. I got the LU back on with minor struggles but now i seem to have no gearing at all, FWD or REV. And I don't seem to be seeing any flow from the tiny hole where i used to see it flowing from. i let it run for maybe a minute to a minute and a half.

I hope you've not missed the gear linkage when you put the LU back on. That would a big whoopsy.
When I started my motor for the first time I had also no tell tail. Turned out to be a blockage of that little hose which was solved by pushing a bit of electrical wire through it. I guess there might have been some bits of iron and salt stuck in it.

i'm sure it happens but the LU really went on with minimal difficulty. Bolts, studs etc all lined up perfectly.Doing it by myself and the last 1/4 in. of space was solved by using the nuts to finish tightening up. I'll pull it off tomorrow and go back to square one. i will see if i can use air to blow through the tell tail might be spider web, dirt wasp nest or something. will post the findings then.

Drop lower unit again,put both control and unit into same gear.Turn the shift shaft until you find three clicks together,middle is N,CW is Fwd and CCW from N is Rev,and shove it back in.

I am happy to report that all has worked out just fine. I just want to thank fastjeff, faztbullet, haventaclue, kimcrwbr1, and especially zaschf. I used a .90 trimmer line to clear the tell-tail, and thankfully my neighbor came to help me reinstall the LU. I didn't notice the shift shaft sleeve had as much movement as it did, so i missed it altogether. Happily owner and boat are now one with each other, lol, with both FORWARD AND REVERSE!!!!!;) Word to the wise, get a buddy, a neighbor, or anything closely resembling a human to help with reinstall. Thanks again all!!!

Last edited:
Back