Logo

2008 Johnson 150 FICH Overheat

Snakeriversailor77

Contributing Member
Im working on a 2008 Johnson 150 FICH, which is the port motor of twins. The engine runs greats, starts well, has solid compression. It was having a overheat problem at @3300 RPM under load. Replaced both thermostat/pressure release valves on each bank. Replaced the impeller. Ran a dose of Salt Away through it as well according to the instructions. The boat now still runs fine but overheats at @3800 RPM under load. The starboard engine is not overheating and runs well. What am I overlooking? Didn't find excessive corrosion or sand under the thermostats or in the water pump. The old impeller looked ok but had taken a set as most do over time. Boat is back in the water again so it is difficult to drop the lower unit again.

If it was my motor I'd get a cheap temp gun and verify it was over heating and not some weird electrical problem.

What are you overlooking?

What am I overlooking should be the question.

I cannot find any 2008 Johnsons at all, nor any 150 Fichts. 2006 Johnson 150s were carbed.

So what am I overlooking?

Me either......anyway the later models have a remote mounted poppet so you need to check the spring and diaphragm in it.

Last edited:
The fitting which goes from the head to drain on the starboard bank was cracked at its base. Replaced the head, added new o rings and after a water test it is running fine now and not a sign of an overheat. Thanks everyone

Sorry no picture of the fitting. It was a space age polymer (plastic) 90 degree fitting threaded into center of starboard head of the port engine. Hose nipple on other end of fitting.

Back