Logo

sterndrive stops 1/4 inch when reinstalling HELP PLEASE

hydromike

I restored a 1983 Searay Seville 4cyl 120hp completely. I put new gimbal bearing when overhauling bellhousing. Prop is locked in forward, splines line up fine, alignment is exact, shift shaft and all linkage are lined up and inserted into sterndrive, the drive slides on past the o rings on the shaft into the coupler, then it stops 1/4 inch from going together. I know the bearing is seated all the way I have checked it. Could the transom thickness have anything to do with this or the distance of the engine from the transom. I am absolutely stumped please HELP

the drive slides on past the o rings on the shaft into the coupler,

The O rings seat under the gimbal bearing . If the alignment is correct, the shaft length is correct, and the shift shoes are positioned correctly
the drive should just slip on . The Bravo gimbal bearing is offset, could you have installed the wrong bearing?

Hi, I have even reinstalled the old gimbal bearing and the same thing happens, everything goes well until the last 1/4 inch, would the thickness of the transom have anything to do with this, like I said I completely restored this boat.
the drive slides on past the o rings on the shaft into the coupler,

The O rings seat under the gimbal bearing . If the alignment is correct, the shaft length is correct, and the shift shoes are positioned correctly
the drive should just slip on . The Bravo gimbal bearing is offset, could you have installed the wrong bearing?

Back