Logo

Need help with lower on 98 25hp Johnson

GeoW

I recently had my 98 25hp Johnson tuned, water pump replaced, to have it ready for this year.

When I went to pick the rig up, I noticed that a nut in the forward side of the lower that was screwed to a stud coming up from inside the lower looked to be loose. Mechanic said don't worry about that.. It was galled and that was as tight as it would get. He said "Don't worry about it, It ain't going nowhere".

The more I've thought about, the more I want to figure out what happened... Did the stud strip? Did the nut strip? What is galled that he was talking about.

To be more clear about what I am talking about, the lower is held on by four bolts coming up from below and this one nut is what to appears to be some sort of stud coming up from inside the lower. It is forward of the lower, close to the transom when the motor is in the run position.

What would you advise that I do to understand what is going on?

Thanks,
Geo

You might be able to remove / replace the stud with the lower unit still on the motor.--Or chase the thread and install a new nut on it.-Not sure why you do not want to do this properly-------On the 3 cylinder 25 hp models the same gearcase ( basically ) is held on by 6 bolts.

I would love to replace the stud if I only had a clue as to what is beneath it and what to turn it with once the nut is off. I'm a retired disabled old soldier... Never had to think for myself. I could get an Abrams rolling down the road though.. :p
I'll go give it another look see and with the help of the Almighty and a pair of vice grips, I may get her done!

Thanks again,
George

Just unscrew that stud and install a new one .-----There is no magic involved and nothing will go wrong by taking it out.

Back