Logo

What kind of paint to use

Hi, I have an aluminum fishing boat. It has never been painted. It is old and it has developed some very small weep holes in the bottom of it. I would like to paint it but have no idea exactly what kind of paint to use. Has someone out there. Painted their boat and it worked well.? Please let me know exactly what kind of paint you used. thank you very much for the help.

if in painting it you think you are going to stop the weeping then in my opinion you are mistaken... all ''old'' riveted aluminum boats get loose rivets...normally caused by trailering and not by use on the water..the other cause is by battery acid...by the time you see the ''weep'' the bottom is shot..there are many entries on the web to repair loose rivets..just be aware that the quick fixes are useless.. if i was doing it i would remove the motor from the boat and turn it up side down on sawhorses to fix it...and then paint it if so desired..many entries on this on the web also..good winter time project as it will take time..

Marine Tex will fix those weep holes. You can buy it at any marine store, and paint rite over it.

I had an all aluminum Sea nymph with pin holes in it,turned it upside down at night with a strong light under it,coated the bottom keel and numerous other holes with a rubberized roofing cement coating 5 years ago not a leak since, Boat gets dragged up and down a sandy beach

Back