Logo

351 Ford Mercuiser Engine.

Liberty Valance

I have two 351 gas Mercuiser Engines in my boat. I just had the exhaust manifold and risers/exchangers replaced in both.
The port engine is louder then the starboard. I had this done by a local marine mech who has flaked out on me...
What could e the problem?

Ayuh,... Louder in the motorbox or outside the hull,..??

Did the guy hook everything up,..??

Have ya Looked to see,..??

a little louder in the engine compartment and much louder outside the hull. Looks like everything is installed properly.
and I am also getting what looks like white smoke from the exhaust. didn't do that before.

a little louder in the engine compartment and much louder outside the hull. Looks like everything is installed properly.
and I am also getting what looks like white smoke from the exhaust. didn't do that before.

Exhaust being loud can be a result of not enough cooling water entering the exhaust system.
The white smoke may actually be steam.

Get this corrected before using the boat, or you'll end up with severe problems.

Thank you Rick, Could that be the intake is clogged or impeller needs replaced?
and thanks again !!!

IMO, you will want to look at the entire seawater path.... from the seawater intake area, to the seawater pump, up through the upper unit, into the Gimbal housing, from there to the T-stat housing (if raw water cooled) and including the exhaust manifold/elbow seawater transfer ports....... leaving no stone unturned.

Do this, and you'll have a good working system until the next routine check is due.

Controlling engine temperature is of utmost importance, and can make the difference between a good day on the water :D, or a very poor and frustrating day on the water :( ..... not to mention very expensive! :mad:

Back