Logo

LM318 starter replacements

artware

Hi,

My LM318 starter needs a replacement.
The starter has an id 2875553 and 05102.
The orig starter was a CV rotation.
Engine is from -72 and at the same time I'm upgrading the engine and replacing my heads (mildly ported 302 and compcam 20-220-3).

I did already buy a Arco 50109 Chrysler 318 V8 Starter, which unfortunately does not fit.
(I got somehow wrong information that it would fit, my bad)

Certainly on option is to try to repair it, but are there any other options available?
As reading forum, there is some discussion around other type of replacement starters.

(kinda worrying that if buying again some other type of starter, if would e.g. not fit in it's available space, or some other problem etc.)

Have you got the original starter (that worked)? If so, try counting teeth on the pinion and measuring the insertion length. Then post it here.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The starter has 10-teeth and attached are few pictures.
The measurements are in centimeters.

Laurila (5).jpgLaurila (8).jpgLaurila (10).jpgLaurila (11).jpg

The fastening holes distance is about ~3.94" (10 cm)
The teeths are ~0.79" from the fastening surface (~2 cm)
The teeht cover diameter is ~2.76" (~7 cm)

Also the repair seems to be harder as the starter has jammed totally (probably rust, etc.).

I already did that, thus the starter seems to be in pretty bad shape.

My challenge here is that the summer is starting here and I would not have a huge time to wait the repair.
But I'll wait at least that I get an estimate and if that is either money or time wise unacceptable, I have to search a replacement.

-Art

Questions:

1.... Is this starter motor mounted directly to the engine block?

2.... or is it mounted in a Borg Warner flywheel cover fashion for use with an Inboard transmission?

AP5099.jpg

If Borg Warner style, you will want that specific style starter motor.

3.... Does the Chrysler 318 offer two diameter flywheels with two ring gear tooth counts?
If so, that may explain why the Arco did not fit.

Back