Logo

2001 honda 15 hp

mlessard61

My kicker motor just started sputtering and dumping gunk out of the carb Smoking a lot to. I changed the plugs but that didn't help.My 130 main engine runs fine so I don't think its a fuel issue.

Is the gunk fuel or oil?

If it is oil....make sure the oil level is about 1/8" or so below the full mark.

If it is fuel, you may have a stuck float in the carburetor or the bystarter (if electric start) is not working. A high idle could be a sign of a malfunctioning bystarter.

What did the spark plugs look like?

There are several other things that it could be, but those are some basic things to check.

Mike

Is the gunk fuel or oil?

If it is oil....make sure the oil level is about 1/8" or so below the full mark.

If it is fuel, you may have a stuck float in the carburetor or the bystarter (if electric start) is not working. A high idle could be a sign of a malfunctioning bystarter.

There are several other things that it could be, but those are some basic things to check.

Mike

Spark plugs looked good. Not sure what the gunk is.It looked thick like oil but milky color. I checked motor oil and it was clean no milky color. It was a tad low on oil but not very much. I sprayed some of the seafoam carb cleaner and forget in it and it seems to be good now so im thinking float was stuck.

Is the gunk fuel or oil?

Mike

Spark plugs looked good. Not sure what the gunk is.It looked thick like oil but milky color. I checked motor oil and it was clean no milky color. It was a tad low on oil but not very much. I sprayed some of the seafoam carb cleaner and fogger in it .seems to be good now so im thinking float was stuck.

Last edited:
Spraying stuff into the intake of the carburetor does not do anything to clean the internal parts and passages of the carburetor. It might help to decarb the valves and cylinders....but it was probably just a coincidence.

Sometimes these things work themselves out. All is well that ends well.

Be sure to use a good fuel treatment like PRI-G or Stabil-Marine every time you get fuel.

Mike

Back