Logo

No thermostat

Clint324

Hi I have a crusader 350 and the engine was running really cold so I went to change the thermostat and there wasn't even one in there. I drove the boat home last year from Maryland to mass with no problems then just when I go to put it in I'm getting this temp issue so I figured it was a stuck t-stat. Is there another spot they put them? I took off the 2 bolted flange that's directly in front of the throttle body ontop of the manifold with the 2 hoses on it.

If it is a Model 350 (454 CID BBC), the t-stat goes in the housing you described....if you ran it last year and it was "ok" and now has issues, two questions come to mind: 1) was it winterized properly last fall and 2) when was the last time the raw water pumps were serviced? might help if you elaborate on "this temp issue"...

Lots of "mechanics" think they can toss the T-stat out without causing engine damage. They are wrong.

Jeff

Lots of "mechanics" think they can toss the T-stat out without causing engine damage. They are wrong.

Jeff

Not sure about "lots of mechanics", but I do agree that these guys are out there!
And yes....... they are dead wrong if they believe that a thermostat can be omitted!

recommendations:

closed cooling system ...... 160 to 170 stat.

raw water cooled in ocean water..... 140ish stat (to avoid salt crystallization)

raw water cooled in river/lake water..... 160ish.

These days I work part time at the local big blue box marine store ( retired and bored!). Last week I overheard a customer tell one of my fellow associates .... "The first thing I do when I get a new boat is throw out the thermostat on the engine... I don't want any overheating problems".

Last week I overheard a customer tell one of my fellow associates .... "The first thing I do when I get a new boat is throw out the thermostat on the engine... I don't want any overheating problems".

Bob, that's just one more testimony showing how ignorant a non-mechanical minded boat owner can be.

And that's OK.... let's just hope that others do not use his suggestion.

BTW, after hearing that, what did your fellow associate say to him?

Back