Logo

2002 40 4 stroke tiller- noise in gear.

Brandon McGaw

Thanks for reading my post. First time poting anything. I have read through the archives and found some info but have additonal questions.

i hit a rock last year at 30 mph. looked like someone hit the lower unit casing with a hammer. Stopped the motor dead. After going back to the landing I was able to move the forward/reverse lever to neutral. The hole was big enough to leak out the gear oil. I found a replacement/used inspected lower unit.

The replacement lower unit was a short shaft. The guy looked at mine and said he could swap out the shafts and all would work so he swaped out shafts and I brought it home.

I bolted the unit on and started the motor with the graden hose hook up on the motor. Runs as she should and in idle speed I have not problems.

The probelms I see show up when putting it into gear. I have heard your not suppose to put it into gear when not in a tank or water but to make sure it works I did. I put it in forward and I can hear a little noise coming form the lower unit shaft/ lower unit area. when I bump up the rpm's just a 100 or so the noise goes away.

When back at idel in neutral the motor makes no noise. I placed it in reverse and the noise is more noticeable but again when I bump up rpm's just a bit the noise goes away completely. Is this normal due to the lack of resistance from water?

I pulled the lower unit back off and looked it over again but nothing stood out. I replaced and adjusted all linkages both directions but have no change. When i tested it again it does the same thing. I tried to upload a video of the video to youtube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tzIs3uGw8&feature=em-upload_owner

Am I missing some adjustment? Is this normal? I'm affraid I will drop it in the water and it will do the same thing or the sound will be covered by the water till something really goes bad.

One last question does anyone have a service manuel for this motor?

Thanks so much in advance. I just wnat to take the family fishing!!!!

With the prop off you could also put a dial gauge on the prop shaft to see if the bearings are still good. Also just grab the shaft and give it a good wiggle to see how much play is in it. Oh man, that sounds dodgy...

Stuart

With the prop off you could also put a dial gauge on the prop shaft to see if the bearings are still good. Also just grab the shaft and give it a good wiggle to see how much play is in it. Oh man, that sounds dodgy...

Stuart
Thanks I'm gonna try with the prop off/ then checkbearings. I called where i picked up the lower unit and they are going to gothrough it again and see if they missed anything.

I stopped by two shops and they both said the clutch dog is not engaging fullytill the rpm's go up. Both said it was adjustment. I retried adjustments invarious increments but no luck and had same results. I'm going to pull prop andrun then drop lower unit and run to make sure its nothing else and I can pinpoint that it’s the lower unit. I think the unit is bad or has an issue.

Its and inspected and used unit and I'm now thinking---worn out!

So, I removed the prop and to my amazement the sound isgone???????? So what’s causing the noise??? I so nothing where the prop would be hitting or rubbing. still internal problems?

Back