Logo

Sticking Thermostat 4.3 MPI?

1coolbanana

G'day
I dragged the boat out of the shed today to see if the new plug wires I fitted yesterday made any difference to the starting issue, they didnt!

While it was idling I noticed the temp gauge not moving at all, just pegged at minimum after 5 minutes idling.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, I checked the manifolds and they were cold, then the gauge shot up to 200+.
Another few moments and the gauge starting dropping dramatically as steaming hot water came out the back.
After that it sat and ran normally between 160-170.
I checked the connection to the temp sensor and it looks fine.

Does this look like time for a T-stat replacement?
I have no idea when it may have been replaced if ever as Ive only owned this boat for a few months.
Cheers

That is $44.00 locally from a marine store here as I have purchased two in the last month. NO SLEEVE.

Just thermostat and gaskets.........All in a kit.

Next time try a Auto parts store that may have marine parts also.

Here in the US NAPA auto parts sells marine stuff...........

Ive tried all the auto places and no one is interested.
The V6 in particular was never in any Australian vehicle and as soon as you mention marine its a "nah, sorry"
OEM is the only option and we pay through the nose.
Just bought a set of plug wire for $180, distributor cap $110, rotor $35..... :-(
The joy of boating :p

There is no difference in thermostat design for V6, V8 marine or auto as long as it is stainless steel and the right temp set point.

ALso no difference in plug wires either. Marine wires are longer so just purchase Big block (454 (7.4l) or 502 (8.2l)) wires for a small block or V6 and they are naturally longer and should fit.

Cap and rotor if thunderbolt............they got you!! no way around those parts....

Ok, well I went to change out the thermostat today to find out that some idiot had fitted the sleeve in upside down and back to front.
Also, no gasket was fitted, just lots of silicon :mad:

IMG_1654_450x600_zpsikqzww9r.jpg

This was blocking off the water flow to the ports which should look like this

IMG_1657_450x600_zpsgbrugnin.jpg

Any ideas if this has done damage if any or possible problems?
Up until now, its run fine and gets up to temp normally but Ive only owned it for maybe 20 hours worth so I dont get it?

Back