Logo

gale soverign 40hp 1963 high rev issue

OntarioGuy

Contributing Member
Hi There,

Could someone help me out tuning this motor I just got? Using my digital tach, I can get it idling nice around 1000rpm (is that normal?) and at full throttle (hand controls) it gets up to about 3250 max rpm. I didn't really mess with the lean/rich dials yet and am going to check the plugs because I just had it out for a 20 minute test for leaks etc. could also be the throttle cable linkage but it feels like its at full throttle at the gears on the side are opened right up. I'll unhook it here after lunch and try to get more revs'.
I'll check the manual as well, just got home from a water test and making lunch and wondering if you guys could help narrow it down somewhat.

Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
Where in ONTARIO ?----------Correct full throttle should be around 4200 / 4500 RPM----Speed of boat per GPS / boat speedometer is ?

South East near Belleville, bout an hour east of Toronto, you are up north west of Toronto aren't ya? I think we talked a while ago.

Just checked compression, 85-90ish each cylinder...............(my compression tester might leak a few psi

it doesn't get up and go that fast at all (maybe feels like a 4 or 5 hp motor without the revs, goes to mid range rpm and thats it, sounds deep throaty
I'm working on it now; seems even opening the throttle up at the carb only gets that rpm, can't even get up to that anymore since its missing.

intermittent CLUNK then kicks back in, ill get a video up shortly, it was running smoother earlier:(

Last edited:
I have cleaned pretty much all the CLUNK (or miss) out of it by richening it up for low rpm, Idle is fine (for now), though Hardly reached 3000rpm that test at full rpm (video will be up later tonight hopefully)
Here's a picture of the carb, and throttle linkage at motor, I used my finger to open the carb up and it still didnt climb much rpm. Sounds deep throaty , little boggy, no real power, struggling; u know.

( I took off low speed Rich/Lean cap to tune with it easier.)
Should I mess with that fixed position high speed more?

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 138
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Do you have spark on both leads that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more ?-------Have you run with a timing light hooked up to one lead at a time to see how spark behaves at full throttle ?----Have to removed the linkage for the high speed needle so you can dial it in with just the needle itself ?

haven't done much of that but will; thank you, just using a digital tach.... I just gapped the plugs out a bit actually, and did a test ( think I leaned high speed out a bit (as much as i could with that actuator ; it wants to cut out if u get on the gas to hard, however I got her over 4000rpm this time, and she screams:)

edit, thanks guys I'm just bbqing at the moment lol will do another test and tune after

Last edited:
Ah thanks guys:)

I think it was/is something to do with the throttle adjustment cable, just the tensioning. (and tuning) Just was out there and did that, now she's running good, up to around 4250 ish? only did a quick test. I'm about 85-90 percent positive its fixed lol, though its getting late here in the neighbourhood and I'm tired had to shut it down. I will re-read this thread and check everything again tomorrow.

This motor is a little different than my old 6 horse and 9.9 johnsons, its got a different sensor or something I'm not used to on the carb and it goes up over the flywheel (also attaches to throttle on carb, you can see the spring i think on or near it in the picture if you look above the carb near the flywheel). Ive also never used remote controls before, or an electric start either lol. so this is a learning experience, thanks.

Last edited:
That spring thingy above the carburetor is just a safety device.------Prevents you from using the recoil if throttle is advanced too far.

Ohh okay that makes sense. thanks
I just went and fired it up, ran okay at idle but not getting the high rpm under load, leaned it out to scream in neutral around 4300+ then tried in gear and it didnt have much rpm over 3000. ---> i didn't even mess with the throttle linkage and couldn't hold the carb throttle open and drive the boat at the same time in gear. The boat launch was busy and I was kind of bummed out and tired so I just put it back on the trailer and came home. I'll take it back out on a weekday after this long weekend.

yeah Ive got the laptop on the boat here right now looking at it, i found the point on intake and marker on flywheel. I think I have the throttle linkage all goofed up to cooresponde with that. Don't think I can start it up tonight tho, and will check everything else in the morning.

that collar and screw you posted , thats the front mixture screw? can't see anything else like that.

working on it now...

Last edited:
gonna post a bunch of pics in about 10-15 min

ah screw it ill fire it up here and see. lol my neighbours probably love me

Last edited:
oh ya i tightened that up earlier where it looked like it used to be, it was floppy

i think i got her boys, just had her in forward screaming! Still needs a little fine tuning but i think its good:)

Thanks Kimcrwbr1 for the offer, I think I got it, never know come morning though lol! and RacerOne for all your guys help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/307270-Thro...73D-/290756492183?hash=item43b26ffb97&vxp=mtr
This is the throttle cam on the points plate you want the throttle butterfly on the carb to begin to open as that mark passes the pointer the closer the better. You can clip a alligator clip with a strait paperclip on the throttle shaft in the carb and that will tell you exactly when the butterfly begins to open. You cannot adjust the carb until the motor is on the water and in forward gear only turn the needle 1/8 turn at a time and wait 10 seconds between adjustments. At idle speed engine up to temp only turn the slow needle first in until the engine cuts out and back out for a smooth idle Then point it toward the big part of the lake and only adjust the high speed needle for the best performance. Then go back to idle speed and adjust the slow needle again the same way and once you find a nice smooth idle add 1/4 turn rich counterclockwise. That helps for cold starts and protects the motor running slow speeds for long periods.

Thanks a lot.

Back