Logo

Oops What happens when

oklaetter

one head is torqued to tight? I got a 99 Merc 200efi, long story short I pulled the port head off to inspect and reassembled at 80 ft pds instead of 30 ft pds, yes I used a new head gasket and no I did not strip any threads. Is it ok to run as is or should I pull it off and re-torque it and if I re-do it should I use a new gasket? sincerely the village idiot

I have ordered new head gaskets, disassembled, chased the threads ( lost a little aluminum but not bad) and am ready to re-assemble other than make double sure I get the torque right should I use Loctight on the affected side or not?

just curious.......you almost tripled the torque value of the bolts and you are not replacing them ? do you expect them to act as they were designed ? head bolts do stretch, and they do break. just because you install them and torque them, that does not mean they are ok. it may not happen immediately, but after a few heat cycles, you can definitely expect trouble down the road.

Sorry for the delay been dealing with the rain. I did take your advice the heart. I tore down both heads and compared the bolts of the effected side with the other side with digital calipers, they were fine. NEW INFO bought a new torque wrench and threw the old in the trash as it was busted. I do not know what I torqued them to but judging by feel I do not think that it was as much as I had thought. This whole fix has kicked my butt so I have surrendered and took it to a Merc mechanic. Thanks for the advice.

I tip my hat with your checking the overall length of the head bolts.....but.....the overall length is not the good/bad indicator. the stretch....which did occur, is so minute that the overall length will remain the same. what you should be concerned about, is how this affects the metallurgy and no longer has the "reliable" strength, especially at engine temps. tell the merc mechanic to replace the bolts.

Back