Logo

1991 Yamaha 90hp broken cable/tube? other maintenance

Michigandr

This is a photo of the broken cable/tube, I was hoping someone could tell me what it is. Sorry for the poor quality composition (super blurry, think the old iphone focused on the background)

I'm also interested in what other maintenance should be done on this engine.

It has been winterized and maintained by a couple different marinas for the past several years except for my winterizing last year.

I plan to replace the water pump.

Maybe the fuel filter, anything else I should plan to do to keep this engine running well?unnamed (6).jpgwhaler.jpg

I found out that this is a speedo cable, not a big deal i guess.

I am wondering though if the ends should be taped off, or melted shut/pinched off somehow to prevent water and the like from entering the lines.

Still wondering what other maintenance should be done other than water pump. THanks

Plugging the end of the speedo cable isn't going to hurt. It is design to transfer air pressure to the sensor, not water. With regards to other maintenance, is it a four stroke or a two stroke? If it is a four stroke then replace the sump oil and oil filter periodically. Either way you should also replace the gearbox oil (and fibre washers) to both keep it fresh and check for water ingress through the oil seals. Also keep an eye on the condition of the spark plugs. Put grease in all the grease nipples and on all the linkages under the cowling. Maybe do an annual compression test so see what condition the cylinders are in. Don't forget that a lot of work during a service is really inspection. Make sure to put your eye over everything.

Stuart

Back