Logo

Spark plug confirmation 1993 Mercury 6 HP

michael_l

I am trying to confirm the right spark plug for a 1993 Mercury 6 hp 2 stroke (2 cylinder). It appears to be a NGK BPZH-N-10 but I have received some conflicting information. Can anyone set me straight? Thanks, Mike

Your motor came from factory with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs gapped at .040". There is now a few other versions available.

BP8HS-N-10 is the (standard electrode) version and then the two "international" versions are BPZ8HS-N-10 (standard electrode) and BPZ8H-N-10 (the Z in the code denotes a resistor plug - the international model spec)

(since the powerheads were built by Yamaha and the ignitions were made by Merc I never understood why they spec'd a different plug for the Canadian and Belgian models (unless something to do with emissions ???, AND they are double the cost of the (regular) plugs) - I have 2 Canadian and 1 US built portable Merc and I run that "standard" (non-international) plugs in them without issue)

Do not cross ref over to a Champion plug. The resistance is not fully compatible with the T4 ignition on your motor and will not allow it to perform to it's full potential.

The only other plug you could use (in a pinch) would be the cross ref Autolite plug.

Last edited:
Back