Logo

91 PCM 5.8 setting "Distributor" - ignition related question

Tyler King

Good day,
i am new to marine engines but not new to automotive engines. i have a 91 ski nautique with the PCM 5.8 (ford) engine. it has overheated and i pulled the heads, had them checked, and resurfaced. blah blah..

anyway, when i went to pull the "distributor" i found that there are no spark plug wires on the cap portion of it.
When i removed the cap i also noticed that there is no rotor like a traditional distributor would have. just a sheet metal 8 point star with each point folded down and passing through a sensor/trigger. (which is why it is in quotes in the title)
my question is, how on earth do i get the "distributor" back in time without any indication on the rotor or the housing?

Thanks everybody,
Tyler

I guess that means you didn't mark it before you removed it??? Sounds like you have the "pro-tec" system that uses a computer controller and the coil packs. If you search on the www, you will find a few service manual links...just make sure you get the correct manual for your system.

that would be correct... i did mark the distributor body in relation to the block, but not the spinning wheel to the body.
thank you for your reply, i had no idea what it was called or even such thing existed.

no biggie...they were ahead of their time...i am back from business and found a copy of the manual that should cover the timing...if you haven't found a copy, send me a PM with your email address - size is ~ 6 MB so make sure there are no restrictions on attachment size.

i got the manual, and it helped a little. But it still does not show how I position it during installation. I assume with cylinder number 1 is at TDC, then how do I position the "rotor"?

i got the manual, and it helped a little. But it still does not show how I position it during installation. I assume with cylinder number 1 is at TDC, then how do I position the "rotor"?

Ayuh,.... Position the rotor to be pointin' at the cap terminal that ya want to be #1,.....

there are 8 fins on this "rotor"... this is not like a traditional distributor, it is the pro tec ignition system that has a trigger and a sensor

Back