Logo

Towing Position of Outboard

jlblau

I'm new to trailering my pontoon. What is the recommended position of the outboard while towing---normal position down or trimmed up? Also, should I consider a transom saver of some sort?

The trailering runs will all be less than 40 miles over highway surfaces.

If you have the clearance it is always best to trailer with engine down. That puts the least stress on the transom because you are minimizing torque on the transom and the lift mechanism.

If you must trailer with engine up, then there are mixed issues with whether or not to use a transom saver. Personally, I would. If you do trailer with the engine up, always rely on your lock-up system to keep the engine up, not on the tilt/trim mechanism. Below is a link to an article I recall seeing from Boat US Trailering magazine.

See: http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2012/march/transom-saver.asp

Another option is to use the "Wedge" which positions the motor lower than the standard towing lock, but higher than if trimmed all the way down. It also takes any/all stress off the tilt mechanism -- or the trailer, as some of the devices on the market connect the trailer to the outboard.

I've seen PT wood blocks used too, but the Wedge has worked really well for my Honda 130.

Old No7

Thanks for adding the link to the m-ywedge -- it is a great device. The only thing I did differently on mine was to wrap it in black electrical tape. As it's all black now, it blends in and isn't noticeable. Before, with the flashy logo and bright color of it, I had a concern it would catch someone else's eye and I'd be replacing it.. "Knock on wood", that hasn't happened.

Old No7

Back