Logo

1972 Evinrude 65 hp Triumph-how to tell proper water circulation

pattyshort

NEW TO FORUM-I'm restoring my dad's old boat that has original 1972 Evinrude 65 hp Triumph. It runs like a champ. Ordered an OMC water pump kit from MarineEngine.com and replaced old water pump. My problem is, there is a small hole just above the water intake(starboard side). Thought it was a tell tale but the hole is not shown on any pictures or mentioned in the manual. Water only comes out of the hole when connected to water supply but engine is not running. Questions-- #1-Does this year/model have a tell tale? #2-If not, how do I know that water is circulating properly? AND #3-If it IS supposed to have tell tale, what could be the reason for no water stream? I am pretty sure water pump was installed correctly with good seals. Thanks for any advice.

No tell tale on that motor.-----Small hole is a drain to prevent freeze up in cold climates.---------------Have you tested the overheat horn ?

Have not checked overheat horn. Not familiar with this. How do you check that and are there any other ways to confirm water is circulating thru the motor properly?

Find the tan wire on the cylinder head.------Slide the rubber boot back to reveal bare wire.------Turn key to " on " only.----------Go to the motor and ground that bare wire to a screw or the head.----Horn should sound.--------Exhaust cover should stay cool to touch and water should mist out of the 2 holes under the lower cowling.

Back