Logo

Opinion for a complete newbie on Force 85 and boat

Hello guys, I never had a boat and need an opinion please. This guy is selling a 15' with Force 85hp outboard https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5002242285.html it comes with trailer, 2 batteries and 55lb trolling motor.
Its 5 minutes from my house and I went an looked at it. Hull looks in good shape, he said motor has just been serviced (did not go into specifics). He said he can start it for me and showed me how the motor raises up and down. Asking $2200 but offered to let it go for 1750, I am sure I can get it for $1500. All of the seats need to be replaced so that is another $200. Besides that with out looking at it, do you foresee any major expenses? How much do you think upkeep would be?

Thank you.

PS, sorry for not using proper terminology and such. I am ok with small mechanical stuff, I can replace spark plugs, do a basic carb learning, etc, but nothing too complex.

Last edited:
never buy an outvoard before checking the compression and make sure the spark will jump 7/16 inch...the lower unit needs checking also...even at this price you may be better off buying a couple hours time of a good tech to check it out..

Tach and stuff 003.jpg

papyson said it. Compression, spark.
Check the oil in the lower.
Make sure you don't remove the shift pin in the pic.(manual)
Drain plug is on the bottom, allen headed screw.

Back