Logo

79' BF100 Points. Can I convert to CDI?

jduck1

Contributing Member
I have a 1979 BF100. It currently runs fine. I also have an 1983 BF100 CDI motor with a blown head gasket. Can I just swap out all the ignition stuff and make it a CDI motor? The power head is the same correct?

I have a 1979 BF100. It currently runs fine. I also have an 1983 BF100 CDI motor with a blown head gasket. Can I just swap out all the ignition stuff and make it a CDI motor? The power head is the same correct?

I see no replies so I thought I would chime in...

Indeed you can.. I did it. The powerhead however is slightly different. The pulser coil will not attach to the the points style cylinder head. I believe the cam pulley also needs to be swapped as does the igntion coil.

So yes you can but.. you need to install a cdi type head and of course the pulser coil (under the cam pulley) and I believe the cam pulley and the cdi ignition coil. ( look for 'CDI' stamped somewhere that you cannot see until you remove it.

So that said the head swap is going to involve a bunch of spendy gaskets, namely the cyl head gasket, most likely the exhaust plate gaskets.. and when you are at it probably should replace the thermostat.

Might be better off just repairing the 83 and keeping the other runner.

HTH

Back