Logo

Need help identifying a 70's motor

I believe I have a 70's motor early to mid I believe but do not know for sure as the serial number is missing, is there any way to identify the motor without the serial number, I need a new stator and a new starter and can not order them without the year. Here is a picture if that helps.

Well can't add the picture in the phone, will add the picture tomorrow.

Its a 50hp, with blue strip.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know I found out the year, although the serial number is missing there is a sticker on the motor that says the year and timing info. Now I just have to track down part number for a stator and starter. I will post some pictures of the boat when I get done with it, its nothing special but I have had to do a bit of work to it because all of the wood was completely rotten. I have got all the wood back I to it, I'm in the process of sealing it now.

Last edited:
I just sold my car and picked up this boat for a project and to have something to fish from to replace my kayak, there is a little learning curve over building cars but I will catch on pretty quickly, electronics is my field of experience.

But I see I have a problem locating parts due to the lack of serial number on the motor.

The motor ran with no problem, the starter is shot but it was pull started without issue, motor sounded strong with no tick or knocking, other than the wiring issues I would have thought the motor was much newer than it is.

I know the stator needs to be replaced as the wires are broke off inside.

I am addicted to working on anything that is electrical or has a motor on it lol. Spent the last few years building turbo charged cars, lots of fun but got pretty costly.

That said we know for a fact the stator needs replacing but the issue is finding the correct one for the year I have Becca's I do not have a serial number, how do I go about finding the correct one? The starter I am not worried about at the moment as it can be pull started, but it is still an item that I will replace but I still have the same problem there with finding the correct part number.

I know the mags are not glued in, I know its a 79 but are these like car motors where sometimes the years are split between 2 years? Like a 79 could possibly be a 78 or 80.

I think I found the serial number, stand by for confirmation...

5335922, is was on the back, I will post pictures of where I found everything, these are not the locations I seen them listed online where they should be...

Last edited:
PN: 174-5454K 1, looks like all of the 50hp electric have the same part numbers, is there anyway you can confirm this is the correct stator.

This is the range that looks correct to me, 50 (50, 500) (4-Cylinder) USA 5193259 - 5531629

Last edited:
Back