Logo

BF90A Timing Belt Replacement

moctod

I've got a 1997 Honda BF90A and am attempting to replace the timing belt. Problem is I can't get the 17mm pulley/alternator rotor bolt out. Tried breaker bar and impact wrench without success. Is this a reverse thread bolt? Any suggestions?

Also, put some PB Blaster on the bolt shaft threads, let it sit for awhile and tap it a bunch of times. Repeat several times.

Also, put some PB Blaster on the bolt shaft threads, let it sit for awhile and tap it a bunch of times. Repeat several times.

Thanks for your help fellows!
Some Seafoam Deep Creep, a four-foot pipe attached to a 1/2" breaker bar, and some solid taps with a small bald-peen hammer finally broke it loose. That breaker bar bent about 20 degrees before the bolt finally gave way. I'd already broken a 3/8" breaker bar on it and was afraid the 1/2" was gonna snap.
I hit it several times with the impact wrench without success. I was a little afraid of snapping some teeth off the flywheel so just used a constant force on the breaker bar while tapping with the hammer.
My torque wrench only goes up to 75 ft-lbs so I used the same four foot pipe to put it back on.
Hopefully the new belt one will last another 18 years without needing replacing. By that time I'll be too old to care.

Back