Logo

Dies after a few seconds...

ryanonthebeach

Hey

Would appreciate some ideas... (yamaha 9.9 HT 4 stroke almost new but been sitting for a few months)
Motor starts great with choke out only (not with choke in), runs fine
If I push choke in an rev it goes perfectly fine but dies suddenly after like 5-10 seconds

Did find some yellow residue in the fuel lines

Have pulled off the carb, cleaned thoroughly, changed the carb for a different carb
Cleaned out all the fuel lines and pump with rubbing alcohol
Improved a little with starting but still doing the same thing...

Any ideas on what to try next?

Hey there

Don't discount the possibility that you will need to clean the carb a couple of times. It is quiet possible that more of that residue has come through into the jets again. If they are plugged it will be running lean (which pulling the choke out will help with).

Stuart

thanks for the advice Stuart... I think you may be right, I did clean the carb before the fuel system and ran it before cleaning the fuel lines so it's quite possible more of that yellow jelly stuff got in there.
Will give the carb another clean tomorrow

Hey there

Don't discount the possibility that you will need to clean the carb a couple of times. It is quiet possible that more of that residue has come through into the jets again. If they are plugged it will be running lean (which pulling the choke out will help with).

Stuart

Back