Logo

starting without a key

conn

Hi,

As a part of a story I'm writing my characters need to start up the engine on a boat without having the key. I've been doing some research about it but only been able to really find info about little outboard motor type boats, and the sort of boat in the story is more of a cruiser.

Like this sort of thing:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/531b3648e4b069e27c2ac49b/53e33150e4b038965ae52b80/53e33168e4b038965ae52b85/1407398275090/otter+and+epernay+for+sale+009.JPG

I don't need an in depth description of it but I'd like it to at least make sense to any reader who happens to know about these things, so would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how that might that be done for that sort of boat? Would it involve opening up the floor to get at the engine or taking the dashboard off and messing with the wires connected to the ignition and just jump starting it in some way? I'm not sure how much I've read applies to this sort of boat or just the smaller ones.

As an aside the character doing it was a mechanic in the army for a short time so would have a reasonable knowledge of general engines, but not boats, if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help.

i assume the guy in your ''story'' is stealing a boat and you want us to tell him how...someone in here may tell you but not me...

i assume the guy in your ''story'' is stealing a boat and you want us to tell him how...someone in here may tell you but not me...

As I said, I don't want any detailed instructions on it, as I knew people wouldn't believe me. Just a rough idea of it. Not being a mechanic myself, I don't know how else to make this bit realistic without asking how its done...

assuming the cruiser has a spark ignition driven engine, the resourceful mechanic will access the ignition switch and install a jumper wire in the appropriate spot. He will then excite the starter circuit. Assuming a viable fuel supply, the engine is likely to be running....

If it's a cruiser as Makomark said, it would be the same as jumping the starter on an older model automobile - jumper the key switch positive to the starter terminal (far right) to crank it. Once started, jumper the positive to the "running" terminal (switch on) and all should work as if the key was in the ignition switch. To turn it off, remove the jumper.

Now, the tricky part is getting access to the terminals on the key switch. Some are completely sealed. Others can be accessed from the rear of the key switch, once removed from the console.

Back